When I say I like The Walking Dead, it is a humungous understatement. I used to hate it, or rather, I’d not give a shit. I could never get past 10 minutes of the first episode because I’d get so bored. But then I thought “Maybe third time’s the charm?” And boy, oh boy, was it ever.
I have watched all 7 seasons within 10 days, I’m not kidding.
I only left my bed to get to the couch and continue my TWD marathon from there. My appartment’s a mess, as is my sleeping schedule and I have lived off of popcorn and pb&js for longer than I care to admit.
Daryl is my life. Glenn is my love. Michonne is my spirit animal.
But the more I watch, the more I find myself thinking “what would I do in their position?” Would I survive more than a week during a zombie apocalypse? Would I join up with a group or try living the lone ranger life? I have a whole theory on what sort of life would allow for the best chance of survival, but that’s a post for another day. For now, let me give you a list of all the things I would take with me if I was in my appartment during an outbreak.
- Jeans – robust material so they provide at least a minimum of protection against the weather (heat, cold, water) and for my skin (small scratches etc.) while still allowing me to move around unrestricted. Parkooouuuurrrr!
- Sports bra – comfortable and you can run in it *thumbs up*
- T-shirt – likely cotton and stretchy material
- Warm high-rise socks
- Zip-up hoodie – thick material to keep me warm but can also be taken off easily and tied around my waist so I don’t have to carry it
- Light jacket – against rain and wind but isn’t heavy (and looks snazzy as hell yo)
- Shoes – comfortable, water-proof, black boots that end about two cm above my ankle (so my feet don’t get wet if I step in a puddle), thick rubber sole with decent tread
- my trusty backpack – it has 6 pockets plus 2 straps to connect across the front so running (without looking like a chicken with vertigo) is possible
- anything that can be used as a weapon – I don’t have an actual katana or a wire-clad baseball bat at my place, so scissors, knives, forks and knitting equipment will have to do
- medicine – aspirin and antibiotics
- toothbrush & toothpaste – nobody wats those Season-6-Alpha-Wolf teeth, amirite?
- a light, re-usable water bottle (filled with water, duh)
- 1 or 2 cans of food – corn or peas or whatever I have lying around at the time
- small bottle of hand sanitizer – some form of disinfectant seems useful
- lighter/matches – I seriously don’t have the faintest idea how to make a fire otherwise
- a roll of toilet paper – I will hold off on using leaves for as long as humanly possible
- a fistful of tampons – just imagine the added risk of attracting even more zombies for a few days every month if you didn’t have those!
- duct tape – cause you never know
- batteries – probs the only form of electricity left, I suspect
There’re a bunch of items that I don’t own, like a flashlight, a rope, a camping cooker, actual weapons and maybe also a sleeping bag, which I’d have to steal along the way.
All things considered (like me not having any idea about actual survival outside of the comfort of civilzation) I think I’d do pretty well with that list…at least until a week in, when I trip over my own shoelace and fall headfirst into an abandoned ball pit inhabited by a murderous 7-year old with a maniacal laugh and a chainsaw. But then again, there are probably worse ways to go down.